img_logo_impression
 
Medamud
Reign of Ptolemy IV, circa 221-205 BC
Grès
H. 380 ; l. 360 ; P. 300 cm
Donated by the Institute of Oriental Archaeology in 1938
Inv. 1939-29
 
Masterpieces
Gate from a Temple at Medamud

This monumental gate originally stood at the principal entrance to the main sanctuary of Medamud.

Symmetrical, complementary carvings on the jambs of the façade represent the traditional scene of the king addressing the divinity before entering the temple. On the left, wearing the red crown of Lower Egypt, Ptolemy IV Philopator officiates over the North. At right, wearing the white crown of Upper Egypt and protected by Nekhbet, the goddess Upper Egypt, in the form of a vulture, he repeats the same gesture for the South. Soberly dressed in a kilt with a ceremonial attachment, the pharaoh holds a club and the ruler's staff in one hand. With the other arm outstretched in a gesture of discourse, he moves toward the opening of the gate to meet the local god, Monthu, in the form of a large, imposing bull. The gate inscription runs under his feet.

The passage is decorated in a simple fashion with friezes containing monumental signs symbolizing the length of the reign. On the back side, Ptolemy IV is welcomed to the temple by the tutelary gods of Medamud. On the right, he is represented wearing the pschent crown and receiving a sword with a ram's head from Amon; the missing left jamb probably refers to Monthu.